From July 2016 registered childcare and play providers in Wales are required to complete an annual Care Inspectorate Wales’ (CIW) online Self Assessment of Service Statement (SASS).
Childcare and play providers were required to complete a self assessment and will be required to complete an annual review of the quality of care at their service later this year. This information tells Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW) about your service and the system you have for monitoring, reviewing and improving the quality of care given to children and is used to inform CIW's inspection of your service.
CIW has developed guidance for this part and a Quality of Care Review template for play and childcare providers.
How the information will be used
CIW inspectors will use the information to:
- plan for inspection
- influence what aspects of your service to prioritise and inspect
- inform the number of inspectors they might send to inspect your service
- as evidence when they make judgments (and ratings) about your service
- confirm that your registration details are current and correct.
Care Inspectorate Wales has postponed the SASS until 2023 to supoort the sector at a difficult time.
Benefits of the online system
CIW has moved to an online system for the annual data collection for registered childcare settings in Wales – there will not be an option for providers to submit a paper copy. This brings CIW and providers in Wales in line with regulators across the UK.
The benefits of an online system for providers include:
- A reduction in the number of questions that have to be completed by providers as you will only see the questions relevant to your setting. The system has been developed to be clear and easy to navigate.
- It incorporates some of the requirements of Local Authority Childcare Sufficiency Assessments, therefore reducing the burden and duplication of information needed to be submitted by providers. It will also improve the consistency of the data collected. This relevant information will then be shared by CIW with local authorities.
- There will be a number of associated guidance documents produced and guidance will also be visible on the online system as the SASS is completed making it easier to cross reference and check.
- There are options to save and come back later within the system. This will help you to complete over a period of time.
- CIW will automatically send a copy of your SASS report via email to you when it has been submitted.