As part of its Executive function, PETC Wales approves qualifications to be included in the List of Required Qualifications to work within the Playwork Sector in Wales. This list is then hosted by SkillsActive, the sector skills council for active leisure, learning and wellbeing.
The List of Required Qualifications to work within the Playwork Sector in Wales provides guidance for employers and practitioners, training providers, regulatory bodies and other organisations on the required occupational qualifications for those working in the playwork sector with children under the age of twelve.
This list should be used in conjunction with the qualification framework produced by Social Care Wales and any other sector skills council with responsibility for parts of the early years workforce working in different sectors (e.g. health, education). It should also be used in conjunction with service standards and regulations, where stipulated by Care Inspectorate Wales (CIW).
This list supersedes all previous versions
Social Care Wales' Qualifications Framework provides guidance for early years and childcare employers, practitioners, learning providers, and other organisations about the required occupational qualifications for those working in early years and childcare with children below the age of eight years.
Playwork Qualifications Flowchart
To provide clear guidance PETC Wales has developed a Qualifications Flowchart that shows which playwork qualifications are required based on the type of setting and job role.
- These are the qualification requirements for existing and newly registered settings in respect of playwork.
- For the core qualification requirements for registered childminders, full day care, sessional daycare and creche facilities please refer to Social Care Wales
- There is a lead-in time for settings to gain playwork qualifications of 30 September 2021
- Qualifications in this flowchart are the recommended qualifications as referred to in the National Minimum Standards. If staff have other relevant qualifications, knowledge and experience then talk to Care Inspectorate Wales about the options.
- For more details on specific qualifications refer to the SkillsActive List of Required Qualifications to work within the Playwork Sector in Wales.