Playday is an annual UK celebration of children's right to play, that always falls on the first Wednesday in August. Each year there is a theme that highlights a particular issue or aspect of children's play.
At Play Wales we see Playday as an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of children's play and the need for quality play provision every day of the year in all areas of Wales. On previous Playdays we have given radio and television interviews and supplied copy to newspapers and periodicals.
Playday 2021 will take place on Wednesday 4 August.
Playday 2021 resources
Making community events playful
An information to support communities to make their local events more playful for children and teenagers. It offers ideas for creating a playful experience and simple low-cost play ideas.
Top tips for celebrating Playday
A list of top tips to help settings working with children to celebrate Playday. It offers practical tips for giving children time, space and permission to play.
Playday 2021 theme
The theme for this year’s Playday is ... Summer of Play.
The Playday 2021 theme recognises the challenges children and young people have faced over the past year and the need to enjoy time for play free of restrictions, with their friends, having fun.
Whilst Playday is the national day for play in the UK, this year we are encouraging families, carers, and communities to help children enjoy a Summer of Play.
- Playing is essential for children’s mental health and well-being.
- Playing helps children cope with stress and anxiety and fosters resilience, enabling children to better deal with challenges.
- Playing gives children the opportunity to have fun, laugh, take time out, relax, and build friendships.
- Playing outside allows children to appreciate nature, the environment, and feel part of their community.
- Playing is fundamental to children’s happiness, and happy children lead to happier communities.
We are looking forward to hearing about the creative ways you plan to celebrate a Summer of Play and Playday in your community.
You can get involved in Playday by:
- Spreading the word about the campaign – post it, Tweet it, Blog it! Help spread the word far and wide about children's right and need to play – #Playday2021 | #SummerOfPlay.
- Follow us on social media – Facebook and Twitter.
- Becoming an official Playday supporter – if your organisation is passionate about children's play, why not become an official Playday 2021 campaign supporter?