Playday is an annual UK celebration of children's right to play, that always falls on the first Wednesday in August. Each year there is a theme that highlights a particular issue or aspect of children's play.
At Play Wales we see Playday as an opportunity to raise awareness of the importance of children's play and the need for quality play provision every day of the year in all areas of Wales. On previous Playdays we have given radio and television interviews and supplied copy to newspapers and periodicals.
Playday 2018 will take place on Wednesday 1 August.
Playday 2018 theme
To celebrate 31 years of Playday this year’s theme is children’s right to play.
Article 31 of the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC) says that every child has the right to play.
The Playday 2018 theme aims to:
- Support communities to come together to celebrate children’s right to play
- Raise awareness about children’s right to play
- Promote the importance of playing for children’s happiness as well as physical and mental health and wellbeing.
You can get involved in this year’s Playday by:
- Holding a Playday celebration – whether your event is big or small, the more people that celebrate Playday the more noise we can make for children's play. Register your event online.
- Spreading the word about the campaign – post it, Tweet it, Blog it! Help spread the word far and wide about children's right and need to play – #Playday2018.
- Follow us on social media – Facebook and Twitter.
- Becoming an official Playday supporter – if your organisation is passionate about children's play, why not become an official Playday 2017 campaign supporter?
More information is available on the Playday website.
These resources were produced for past Playday campaigns but may still be useful for this year's event planning.
Get organised guide (2010)