Award in Playwork Practice
Play Wales has developed a Level 2 Award in Playwork Practice (L2APP) through funding made available by the Welsh Government.
This new Award has been developed by a steering group including: Play Wales, Addysg Oedolion Cymru | Adult Learning Wales, SkillsActive, Agored Cymru and Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids’ Clubs. It is intended to meet the needs of practitioners working in a range of settings including:
- Practitioners in childcare settings wishing to increase their understanding of playwork
- Community based holiday play schemes
- optional or continuous professional development training to provide for the better understanding and practice of a range of staff working to support play for children up to the age of 16 including: lunchtime supervisors; youth workers; childcare staff; community development and hospital staff.
L2APP consists of two units that have been mapped against the recently revised National Occupational Standards for playwork:
- Unit 1 - Understanding a playwork approach
- Unit 2 - Application of a playwork approach
The ‘Application of a playwork approach’ unit is based on practical skill and learners will be expected to submit a range of evidence to demonstrate their competence in the workplace.
The two units include content on:
- What is play
- The importance of play
- Legislation and policy
- Playwork theory
- Playwork intervention
- Risk management
- Creating spaces for playing
- Reflective practice
Developing teaching and learning materials will be delivery centres’ responsibility. Play Wales will be working in partnership with Addysg Oedolion Cymru | Adult Learning Wales to refine teaching and learning materials for delivery of L2APP based on the existing Playwork: Principles into Practice (P3) resources. These learning materials will only be available for courses being run by Addysg Oedolion Cymru | Adult Learning Wales.
We will be be piloting the course, in partnership with Clybiau Plant Cymru Kids’ Clubs, in January 2017 from which time it will be available for delivery.
To ensure robust quality assurance of this new qualification, tutors and assessors will be expected to take part in joint standardisation activities. If you would like more information on accessing the L2APP qualification or delivering it in your area, please email us.